Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Victor's pre Cannonball run
06-01-2010, 07:59 PM
RE: Victor's pre Cannonball run
This is downright excitin'!!! Dave....thanks again for posting Victor's progress! I know I'm not the only one rootin' for him!!! By chance did he bring a camera to get the odd willing body to take a photo of him and his glorious '14 on his journey?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2010, 09:11 PM
I can't go to sleep at night unless I read about Victor's daily conquests! If this were 1914, I'd be pacing the floor at the Western Union office waiting for a telegram !
Hats off to Dave for the updates...
I can see that once we start our journey, should we hit any snag we'll be asking ourselves "Now what would Victor do?"
Cool

OLD IRON RIDER.com
"Rusty Nuts" Sears Blog
"Silent Grey Fellow" T's
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Awesome photo, single speed - that's awesome. Thanks for the photo and info, way to go Victor! its making us that are not Cannonballers wish we were, too cool!2 Thumbs Up
06-02-2010, 10:40 PM
6/2, I believe this is day #11, Sorry it's so late but Victor is getting closer to home and we are now both on Pacific standard time! Hey guy's , forgive me if my spelling isn't the best, but I feel you guy's need to know this stuff and my daughter always gives me crap over my seplling. I have a lot to report on this evening. Anyway, Victor got in another outstanding day with 330 miles under his belt with 10 hours in the saddle. This adds up to a total of right around 3200 miles boy's. This guy just never quits! He started at 4 am today doing maintenance on his bike for a couple of hours before the sun came up. While doing work on the bike this morning, he found that he had a small SCREWDRIVER stuck in the sidewall of his new rear tire! He took pictures of it to show everyone when he gets home. He pulled the screwdriver out and it didn't leak so he went ahead and ran it. The handle was badly worn, so it had been in there for quite some time. He is really concerned that the new rear tire may not make it home, it is already badly worn. By the way, he is taking a lot of pics and some short video's as well. He had to borrow a pipe wrench from some guy at the motel this morn to tighten his sagging carb again. The bike performed well, although he said that going over a total of 4 passes today, it was real hard on the bike. He has been carrying a heat gun and said that the cylinders are only running at between 140 to 160 degrees. It has been running like that since I first built the motor. ( which but the way, I can't take all the credit, Mike Lange did the boring and valves) He has been doing everything he can to take it easy on the motor. He has had to lean over the tank as it is being pushed to it's absolute maximum. He even had to resort to slipping the clutch today to get the RPM's up and then easing the clutch back in. (very hard on the clutch). He has a GPS and said he was down to between 28 -30 MPH and the motor was hitting real hard. I have been concerned about my brakes and I told him about all the updates that I had planned for the rear brake on my 1912 and he said that he really didn't think that it was necessary. He hardly ever uses his and he is riding over the Rockies! Another thing, he only has a flashing light on the rear with no brake light. He is running the stock seat with a gel pad and the only thing hurting is his butt. He said he feels so good that he is tempted to turn around and go BACK!!! He is now only 2 day's from home. I told him that the Cannonball rules came out yesterday and told him about the speeds that they expect us to keep. He said that there is NO way that we can keep up those kind of speeds. He is working his ass of for 10 and 12 hours a day and can only maintain an average of 40 MPH He said that I am crazy to think about doing this on a single. He seems to think that some of these rules are going to have to be tweeked a bit. He said to tell you that a rag had fallen off of his bike and got wrapped up in the rear brake. It was so tightly wrapped in the brake that he tuought that he was going to have to remove the rear wheel to get it out. (tie you stuff on well) This has been so excitiong for me, I really hate to see it comming to an end. I guess that's about it for today's report. Tune in tomorrow to see how him and his machine handle the high deserts of Nevada. Dave
06-03-2010, 01:12 AM
Cannonballers you'd better be prepared. It seems as though Victor is going to be a force to be reckoned with!!! Thanks for the update Dave!!!
06-03-2010, 11:21 PM
6/3 Day #12! Well,, Victor had a hell of a day today. I just got off of the phone with him at 8 pm. He left Ely Nevada this morning around 5 am, he no sooner got out of town and he had to go back. He was having carb problems, the flapper in the carb was completely worn out. He had a complete spare carb, so he swiped the air horn of of it. He also found that the float bowl and the intake manifold were loose again!. So after a little down time, he was able to leave Ely at 6 am. Now I don't know how many of you have ever been on hiway 50 outside Ely Nev, but if that isn't the middle of nowhere, you can damn sure see it from there! So off he went across the high desert of Nevada riding directly into a head wind. He had to fight the headwind all day. He said he was down on the tank for 3-4 hours today, which makes for very uncomfortable riding. He was able to gain 5 mph by leaning over the tank.The milage for today was another outstanding day of 333 miles with his estimate of 10 hours of riding time.. Can you guy's believe this ? So the math is easy on this one boys, 33 mph average. Far less than what the Cannonball rules are calling for, which he said would be impossible to maintain unless the bikes are highly modified. (isn,t the whole purpose of the run to be done on original bikes?) Anyway, he said that the fastest that he was able to go, was 54 mph downhill and down into the mid 30's going uphill. Going over the multiple passes, bucking a headwind all day was hard on him and the bike. He met up with some fella on a modern metric cruiser and the guy rode with him for quite some time. The rider said he would hang with Victor until he go over the next big pass. He fell short of the summit by a mear 100 feet or so and had to be towed to the top. He had to resort to slipping the clutch again today. After talking with him this evening, he said he was going to sleep in tomorrow and then do some work on the bike before leaving his motel. He is carrying a new tire wich he thinks he might have to put on tomorrow. Right now, he is able to make it home to San Francisco by tomorrow if he doesn't spend too much time at the motel. Knowing Victor the way I do, I'm going to say that he will probably be at my house here in the central valley tomorrow afternoon, I'm only 90 miles from his home. That would put him home a full day ahead of his original plan! I will be ready with camera in hand to take some pictures when he gets near my home to show you all what his ride looks like. Victors words of wisdom today was, "have a good rear view mirror", he said he watches it nearly as much as the road in front of him. With a total of somewhere around 3500 miles under his belt, he has had only one close call and that was from a semi truck! That's it for now. I'll write you all tomorrow about how the finish of this history making trip ends. Dave
06-04-2010, 01:20 AM
Go Cannonball Victor go!!! 2 Thumbs Up Thanks again for the updates Dave and I look forward to seeing pics!
06-05-2010, 06:06 AM
6/5 Day 12, Victor made it to my house with a total of 3798 miles on the clock. He had to spend the night here for some very badly needed maintainence. It's 4 am here and I have a lot to do before daylight. I'll fill you all in about thr final leg of his journey later on this afternoon. Dave
06-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Congratulations goes to Victor the Iron man and his steed. Thank you doctor Dave for your diligence in preparing the steed and posting jorney.
06-05-2010, 12:05 PM
6/5, Hi guy's , Well Victor "set off" as he says in his English gentleman's voice about 6:30 this morning headed for San Francisco!!! He only has about an 85-90 mile ride to finish his journey. He rolled in here yesterday afternoon looking like a bucket of busted assholes, he was beat, the bike looked like it had been dipped in shit and kind of sounding like it too. The bike was down on power once again and he had a hard time trying to get over the Sierra mountains here in California. He did have to resort to having it trucked over one of the toughest roads that we have here called Kit Carson pass. He finally made it to Jackson, a cute little town up here in the Sierra foothils on hwy 88 about 50 miles from here. I had told him that I wanted to get some video of him in action with all of his "crap" on board before he got here. So he called me from Jackson and I took off with Jim Willette to meet him half way. We met up in a little town called Clements and had a little welcoming and photo session there. He told us all about his trip and then he saddled up to head for my place. I had Jim drive my van while I hung out the window taking videos of him riding down the road. He crusies at around 45 mph with bursts up to 55 when he "rides the tank" as he puts it. He was ahead of schedule at this point, but the way the bike was running and the way he was feeling, he decieded to spend the night here while I did some long overdue maintenance to it. He was sure that it had motor damage done to it but after I ran the valves, freshened up the plugs, redid his carb flapper again, tightened up both chains and tightened up the loose pipes, it was as good as new! After another little photo session here this morning, he once again "set off" for Frisco. I got another little video of him as he left my yard today. I will post some pictures and a video or 2 of him when my daughter shows up here and does it for me. I told him to call me as soon as he arrived, so needless to say, I'm sitting on pins and needles here waiting for the call, which should be any time. Those of you that happen to live in the bay area might like to know that the bike, in all of it's splender and glory will be on display at Dudley Perkins Harley Davidson in San Francisco for the next few days. I can't tell all of you how honered and proud I am for being such a great part of this monumental journey and for making Victors dream of riding across America, come true. I will be posting more when I here from him and get the images to you as well, Victor also said he will be chiming in as soon as he gets a little settled in. Dave