Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Victor's pre Cannonball run
05-28-2010, 10:59 AM
RE: Victor's pre Cannonball run
[quote='jurassic' pid='1129' dateline='1275015960']
dave ,thanks for the update. victor is on an amazing journey,and doing it on his own terms. what kind of plugs is he running?
[/quo Hey Lonnie, It was good to talk with you yesterday. Victor is running modern Champion plugs that are replacements for model T's. I haven't ever had any problems with them on my racer in the past, but I think it must be the rain water on a hot plug? Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-28-2010, 11:49 AM
NGK plugs work ok, and are easy to get from motorbike shops. They come in boxes of 1 or in big boxes of 10 plugs.

Try these numbers: AB6 or AB7 or A8. (the higher plug numbers are good when running higher rpms; AB6 only if riding very slow around town and you need to prevent fouling the plug --or if there is continuously too much oil into the motor.).

I'm not sure in which way Victor's plugs are failing. If he is fouling them with all that extra oil, he can try an AB6 or AB7. If they are overheating and burning white, go up to an AB7 or A8.

Regards,
Pete

(05-28-2010 10:59 AM)Iron Dinosaur Wrote:  Hey Lonnie, It was good to talk with you yesterday. Victor is running modern Champion plugs that are replacements for model T's. I haven't ever had any problems with them on my racer in the past, but I think it must be the rain water on a hot plug? Dave
05-28-2010, 11:52 AM
(05-27-2010 09:47 PM)Iron Dinosaur Wrote:  Update 5/27 Is anybody even reading this? Well, for those of you that are, here's Victors daily report. All is going well, although he did have another spark plug failure again today. He only took 2 spares, so he's on the hunt for some back ups plugs right now. He was able to get in another 300 mile day today, but it took him a total of 12 hours in some 90 degree heat and some long steady up hill climbs for miles and miles. There was also a couple of rain stroms that he had to ride through. He was totally burned out when I spoke to him this evening. You know boys, he's 67 years old!! That puts him in the catagory of one of the toughest guy's I know! I asked him how the rear tire was holding up, but he said he was so tired that he didn't even look at it this evening. His plans are to replace it at the end of tomorrows ride. Even I don't know the exact roads that he had planned to ride, although he did say that he had to take more major roads than he had planned just to keep up the pace that he is going at. A bit of advice from Victor, Don't try eating a banana while riding down the road with one hand on the handlebar! He said that he started to run off of the road and while trying to correct with one hand, he experienced a terrible wobble that just about bucked him off! He blamed the wobble on all the extra weight that is on the back of the bike. Again he stated that he is shocked about the amount of oil that he is going through, a good 3 quarts a day, and it's really not leaking any. Well, I guess that 's about it for today, tune in tomorrow for more tales about Victor, on assingment. Dave

You bet we are reading this! What a great thread. I figured right on the oil, I have a single and figured 4 qts. /day, so I bought 72 qts. so I should have a cushion. Keep the updates coming!

FatDog Racing No.33
http://www.fatdogracing.blogspot.com
http://www.fatdogvintagesalvage.com
05-28-2010, 11:50 PM
5/28, Well boy's, here's your nightly dose of Victor. I got a lot to say tonight. To start with, many of you may not know, I am the Chief surgeon on Victor's bike, I have to say, I do believe I am more nervous than an old whore in church here! I have done ALL the work on this bike and it is very nerve racking to have one of your creations being put through a test such as this. I am proud to say, that all is progressing well. Victor has offically reached the half way point in only 6 days with a total of 1687 miles under his belt! I think we owe him a round of applause here... He had no problems with the bike today at all other than using another 4 quarts of oil. Tonight I'm going to give you guy's a little hint of his location. He was able to round up a new set of spark plugs today, believe it or not, at a local Harley boutique in Springfield Mo. He went to the counter to ask for plugs and the whole shop had to come outside to see this ancient piece of iron making history. The parts guy was so impressed, he called a local tractor dealer 30 miles away and this guy closed his shop and drove 30 miles to hand deliver the plugs to Victor!! He got in a total of 9 hours on the road today, just shy of another 300 mile day. He is feeling just fine and said he felt as if he could "go out on the town" this evening if he didn't have to get up and do it again tomorrow. He said "all with no drugs". I asked him how his butt felt and he said it was pretty good, must be numb, he even removed one of the two gel pads he had under him. He did mention that he seemed to notice that it had been down on power once in awhile for the last couple of days. During his nightly 2 hour once over he found that the intake manifold nuts were loose and the carb was sagging. A pair of borrowed water pump pliers from a local handy man took care of the problem. He was on a main highway today and had to ride on the shoulder of the road for several miles. I asked again today about the brakes and he said he hardly ever uses them, not an issue what so ever. He did get his new back tire delivered today, but..... he said "he thought he could get another day's worth of riding on his old one", so he strapped the new one to the handlebars and plans to change it tomorrow. I think the cannonball bikes will get much better tire wear because they won't have to carry near the load that Victor is. He has been carrying a bottle of juice under his jacket to sneak a sip every now and then to keep hydrated. He had 90 degree weather today with blue skies. He happened to run into a local cop at a stop today (must have been a donut shop) and the smokie pointed out that the oil pump packing nut was dangling loose. Turns out, I guess they are good for something. On a humerous note, He was jacked up by another cop at 4 am this morn. outside his motel room. They wanted to know who he was and what his buisnees was there. Turns out a crook had robbed a bank and spent the night at the same motel and the cop was waiting for the FBI to show up.. Well this is about all I can type in one night, my little fingers are starting to smoke. Check in tomorrow for more tales of Victor, on the road. Dave
05-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Update 5/29. I get the feeling that I've only got a couple of followers, but I'm going to keep writing because I'm proud of Victor and his accomplishments as well as being part of such a history making moment such as this. So here we go again. He spent a total of 11 hours in the saddle on the 7th day of his quest. Mostly 2 lane roads, some 4 lane, green rolling hills, and a surprizing lack of traffic. Personally I was kind of concerned about him being on the road on a 3 day weekend, but I guess Kansas isn't like California. He made the comment that he was concerned that if he was to break down that no one would ever find him. He broke his own record today with a total of a wopping 366 miles under blue skies and 90 degree weather through the great state of Kansas today! It was so windy today that his maps blew off and he had to go back to retrieve them. He has been maping out his daily ride every evening for the past couple of days and not following the coarse that he had origanally planned. He is a real trooper, stopping only for fuel and food. Now that he has enough many miles under his belt and we have done a little math, it turns out that he is only averaging 40 mph every day. The bike has been running good, but he keeps complaining about times when it seems to be lacking on power. He thinks that there may be some troubles on the horizon, I feel it's the extra 100+ pounds of "stuff" that he has strapped on board. He has got to look like the Beverly hillbillies comming down the road with his FILTHY bike, all his crap, and a spare tire tied to the handlebars! Speaking of his tire, he ran into a couple of guys that were going to race their stock car today at a gas station. They were checking out his bike and told him he better use that tire he's carrying, because the cord is showing on his! He made it all the way to Dodge city Kansas today and has plans of changing his rear and primary chain tomorrow morning. He may try the new plastic bag method of mounting his new tire tomorrow, which by the way, he is running 60 lbs of air with coker tubes. I told him to stop by the Longbranch saloon and say hi to Miss Kitty and Festus. His milage will be down tomorrow due to the morning wrenching on the bike. He is holding up OK, but he admits that he is getting tired and kind of looking forward to the end. He still has some very big hurdles in front of him, namely the Rockies of Colorado and the Sierras of California. He told me to let everyone know, that when he returns, he will be happy to answer any and all questions that anybody may have. His plans are to include my house as one of his stops on his way home to San Franciso. I will be out with a video camera filming him as he gets near to get some footage of his ride. That's it for this evening, I'll fill you all in on tomorrows adventures of Victor. Dave
05-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Glad to hear he didn't blow out on the tire! The fact that the tire went and not the tube will be important to everyone trying to run clnchers in the Cannonball... A lot of guys are switching to drop centers fearing the clincher/tube setup... Victors ride should calm some fears!

OLD IRON RIDER.com
"Rusty Nuts" Sears Blog
"Silent Grey Fellow" T's
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-30-2010, 11:44 AM
You can rest assured we're tracking this.
Its stuff like this that primes the pump for the Cannonball!
I've been following along since the initial post, thanks so much for putting this out there. This is an amazing story and it is great to be able to follow along via this site. Thanks again, keep up the good work. Tim O'Day
05-30-2010, 07:59 PM
I am very impressed by this adventure but I am not sure if more by Victor or the 14. Both appear to be indomitable stalwarts.
05-30-2010, 10:16 PM
5/30, Hi all, This marks the end of day #8 with a total of somewhere near 2400 miles. Tonights post will be shorter. Victor did well today. He spent nearly 5 hours today at the motel changing his tire and primary chain. He said it was much more difficult with the bike on the ground, crawling around on his hands and knees. With such a late start, he was only able to get in about 200 miles today. This is the first day that he has fallen short of his goal. He did say that the bike ran very well and much smoother with a new chain. He now thinks that maybe it wasn't the motor after all. I'm not really sure if he is planning another short day again tomorrow to get a little rest, or if he plans to push it and start the climb up the Rockies tomorrow afternoon. Today the weather was good but very windy. He said he doesn't know how us guy's on our singles will make it with a headwind like he had today. He has been taking pictures along the way and his spirits are good. He was busy doing laundry this afternoon, something else that maybe some of you Cannonballers didn't think of. I'll give you all another report tomorrow evening as soon as I here form our mentor. Dave
05-30-2010, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the post Dave, keep it up. I think you have more followers than you know. Sounds like you do good work, way to go - something to be very proud of. Victor sounds like quite the guy, hope to meet you guys at the end of the big run. Very impressive stuff, wish you the best in these efforts.