Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Excelsior racers
12-13-2009, 11:14 AM
RE: Excelsior racers
(12-12-2009 11:35 PM)cyclingday Wrote:  There is a great book called" American X " by Thomas Bund, that tells the complete story of the Excelsior Motorcycle Co. Unfortunately, the text is in German, but the photographs and reprints of the catalogs and advertisements are awesome!
If the text could be converted into English, I'm sure that it would become a must have for every Excelsior enthusiast.

sounds like a great book,where can i get one?i understand a little german.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm trying to remember off hand where I've seen this book advertised. Either way if you haven't found it yet, here's the link......

http://engl.american-x.org/index.html
12-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Thomas Bund and his buddiy Andreas Whermann along with Thomas' brother Stefan are SERIOUS board track fans...

Check them out at this link to my web page where they were riding / racing the Motlhery race track before it was torn down... If we had a track like that here, we'd never leave...

http://oldironrider.com/usefullinfo.html

Bill

OLD IRON RIDER.com
"Rusty Nuts" Sears Blog
"Silent Grey Fellow" T's
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks for posting that Bill, that was to cool !! As close as most of us will ever get to a board track race I guess, very cool !! I have only ever seen one Super X actually being ridden and that was not nearly enough, thanks again.
12-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Wow!
That was awesome! What a shame to have torn down such a nice track.
12-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Here is a current picture with high pixel count of my Excelsior 7SC that I will be riding in the Cannonball. The bike is a lightly restored original low mileage 1914 factory racer with all original equipment including 100% original gas Tank. The Engine was freshened in 1950 with original Excelsior parts. The Corbin rear brake and hub are still as they were new and operate correctly
All linkage and handlebars are original and have their original Nichol plating.The frame is completely original and the clearance between the frame upper and lower bars to the gas tank is about 1 thousandths of an inch for the entire span of the bars. This leads me to believe that the frame has never been dropped and has very little use.
The front rim, spokes, chains and tires are new. I have been running Non-Skids tubelessly at 40 pounds of pressure with an inner liner running at 120 pounds. That is why there are 2 valve stems.
The lights are 1914 era lights with Australian AY-UP Bike CREE Leds.
These produce 870 lumen's for 12 hours ,and batteries are in headlight and taillight.
I have an original Stewart 100 mph speedometer with Stopwatch
and time of day (made by Excelsior) that will mount just back of the handlebars.
The bike has the original Eclipse clutch with original Nichol and original 11 steel discs. This clutch is a wet type and when I use the lightest grade Mobile 1 , I get smooth operation. This means pedal to about 4 miles an hour and then twist clutch grip on left handlebars to engage motor. My engine currently idles at 400 to 420 rpm which I am trying to get down to about 200 rpm. My exhaust is the same one that came with the bike 97 years ago and that is what there is.

I took the drive chain off the engine so I did not have to keep my hand on the control , and last Tuesday I rode the bike as a bicycle for 7 miles.
It took a couple hours and was harder than I thought it was going to be.
The problem is that the bike is actually smaller than my road bicycle and unless it is flat or downhill , You must stand to pedal. The maximum speed I can pedal the bike is about 8 mph on flat ground. The Bike weighs 200 pounds currently.

I run 50 weight Mobile One cut with about 30% smokeless Two cycle synthetic mix. This mixture lets the dipper system run at 30 drips per minute and I hope, keeps carbon down. I have a brass 4 oz container mounted under the motor to collect the oil that was directed to the chain.
This keeps the rear end of the bike a little cleaner.

My bike spins 2500 rpm at 57 mph and feels "happy".

I have collected several sets of plugs. I have 5 different Leonard plugs ,each set having different heat ranges to test out. I also have 3 different sets of aircraft plugs. All these plugs are vintage plugs. I currently am using some Wright Mica aircraft Spark plugs.

I plan on making a You Tube Video on my Excelsior 7SC this weekend.
My plan is to make it at 50 to 70 mph and I will post a link here when I get it done.

This is all I can think of right now,
Thanks,,,Alan Travis

Attached File(s) Image(s)

12-15-2009, 01:03 AM
Alan, that machine of yours is stunning! I can't wait to hear it run! 2 Thumbs Up
12-16-2009, 12:28 PM
hi alan ,thanks for the pic,thats a great looking ex. personally one of my favorite brands of motorcycle. very well built. alan ,do you plan on running a muffler? them straight pipes might spook the horses.
12-16-2009, 12:44 PM
(12-16-2009 12:28 PM)jurassic Wrote:  hi alan ,thanks for the pic,thats a great looking ex. personally one of my favorite brands of motorcycle. very well built. alan ,do you plan on running a muffler? them straight pipes might spook the horses.

I thought I would put up with the noise. When it is going down the road and when it is warmed up, It sounds incredible. You can tell easily it is an antique racer. If you request me to run something to quiet it down , please let me know. From a spectator standpoint, someone waiting for a couple hours en route to see the race, I think it would just make their day.
12-16-2009, 03:16 PM
(12-13-2009 11:14 AM)jurassic Wrote:  
(12-12-2009 11:35 PM)cyclingday Wrote:  There is a great book called" American X " by Thomas Bund, that tells the complete story of the Excelsior Motorcycle Co. Unfortunately, the text is in German, but the photographs and reprints of the catalogs and advertisements are awesome!
If the text could be converted into English, I'm sure that it would become a must have for every Excelsior enthusiast.

sounds like a great book,where can i get one?i understand a little german.

We have the American X book for sale on our website. Antiquemotorcycleworks.com or e-mail us at shop@antmc.com
Price is $85.00 plus shipping 10% off for confirmed cannonballers. Tom